Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Not cool...

There has been a lot of talk about how do we make EVs safer for pedestrians, I agree with this but why are we only focused on EVs?  Why don't we add sound to hybrids that can coast silently at low speeds, and what of some of the luxury cars that make no sound, not even tire noise that can be detected easily.

I've watched a few videos that show EVs being tested with artificial sound...some of it is just ridiculously bad.  I've got to wonder who are these engineers in charge of these projects, if indeed there are any involved. The sounds that some of these manufacturers choose are awful and scream fake.  Why add engine noise to a car that is naturally quiet?  That is not the answer.  Auto manufacturers need to work together to come up with a solution just like they are doing with battery technology.  Do this right guys - so far what I've seen is a big disappointment.

Yes I know this may be put into law but that does not give manufacturers the excuse to take short cuts with this.

Honestly, I'm sure even with the best safety technology a pedestrian will get hit with an EV one day and the media will have a field day calling them EVil, etc.   Maybe I'll be able to put my own sounds into my EV, I could play Ride of the Valkyries or the theme music from Jaws.

Whatever...


1 comment:

  1. This was enacted as a law in January 2011 - The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010. (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111s841enr/pdf/BILLS-111s841enr.pdf) That law requires NHTSA to develop regulations implementing the law's mandates. NHTSA has decided that BEVs should sound like ICE cars, and not some nicer sound.

    My recommendation is that drivers should pay attention to their driving, instead of talking on their cell phones, etc. When I get my i3, I don't want it to sound like a gasoline engine, so I will disconnect the noise-maker. I like quiet cars.

    Wikipedia has a good article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

    ReplyDelete